Skip to main content

Court trouble

I can't take it any longer. That's it for me.
[pic taken from AO website]
Surreal. It's just weird seeing Justine losing a first set 1-6 and not being able to return well. So Amelie is Australian Open champ, in a rather odd way. I mean, having played against three opponents who had to abandon the match, including the semi and final, must surely be rather un-satisfying. It's like you didn't really win the tournament.

Read in someone's blog that Justine has effectively destroyed the moment for Amelie. She can't really savour victory because she 'won' in such circumstances. That's one way of looking at it, I suppose. But those of us here who have had (or still have) intimate experience with stomach trouble, well, me at least, can fully sympathise, empathise, etc, with Justine. I do also feel sorry for Amelie because she is trying so hard to convince herself that she deserved to win. She's saying stuff like I played well, I didn't notice her shots were weak, etc.

It reminded me of the Coria-Gaudio French Open 2004 Final, when Coria, with victory almost in his hands, started cramping and couldn't walk and serve properly. Although he did finish the match, I'd say he hasn't gotten over it mentally and so he's not going as far in tournaments as he should. Just my humble opinion.

For their sakes, I hope Amelie, Justine and Kim get over this physical and psychological mess and get on with it. I'd say Justine and Kim at least are good for another Grand Slam title or two. Just another humble opinion.

Also, good show, Yan Zi and Zheng Jie, whose names I got wrong in my previous post. Aaagh... how could I make that kind of mistake.
I couldn't help thinking that Lisa Raymond and Sam Stosur looked old and tired in their match, while the China ladies were so spunky. Which is how I would describe Justine on her normal day too.

Meanwhile,
Snoopy, Spike, Andy, Olaf and Belle wish everyone a happy new year!

We are having a rather low-profile one because the boy threw up his dinner last night and anyway was already having a runny nose and cough, and has a slight fever today, though he remains in his usual high spirits. He has had his Ventolin puff and has stopped sounding like a coughing rhinoceres, which is what my niece said about his cough.

And now for Federer versus Baghdatis...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lesson in love

I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world. -Mother Teresa Most of the time my eyes just glaze over when I see article upon article of football news. One caught my glazing eye over the weekend, though - 'De la Cruz - Mother Theresa in boots' , because of the familiar name. Mother Teresa, that is. It was the first time I’d ever heard of this de la Cruz guy, an EPL player who hails from Ecuador (GNI per capita US$2,630; as a comparison, Singapore’s is US$27, 490 – source: BBC country profiles ). His is a great story to illustrate that famous Chinese saying about not forgetting your roots. According to the article, ‘Each month a proportion of that salary (about S$150,000) Reading pay him - be it 10 per cent in January or 20 per cent in February - goes direct to the village’ (where he grew up). (Picture and profile from here ) Here's what he has been credited for: 1. 'The 2002 World Cup,' de la Cruz reflects, 'finan

True train school

‘Having eyes, but not seeing beauty; having ears, but not hearing music; having minds, but not perceiving truth; having hearts that are never moved and therefore never set on fire. These are the things to fear, said the headmaster.’ How would you like to have such a headmaster? I finally re-read (read it first as a teenager) Totto-chan, The Little Girl at the Window , a ‘school story’ by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, translated by Dorothy Britton. Totto-chan is the name Tesuko Kuroyanagi called herself, and the book is about her life during her school days at Tomoe Gakuen. Totto-chan was expelled from her first elementary school because of her ‘disruptive’ behaviour, which included constantly opening and closing her desk top (because she was so thrilled by it), ‘vandalising’ her desk (because there wasn’t enough space on the piece of paper to draw) and standing by the classroom window waiting for street musicians to pass by or talking to swallows. Her mother, although probably alarmed about the

Chinese Part 5

I read that reading and writing daily can help keep the brain active and so prevent or delay the onset of dementia. Hopefully, writing one's blog helps there. Back to the topic of Chinese, I have a brainwave, ha ha. If the weighting for Chinese in the PSLE is to be reduced (which, if it happens, had better be well explained with reasons much more substantial than giving children a better shot at getting into top schools), let it be reduced to whatever-it-will-be and then bonus points (and definitely much more than the measley 2 points currently given for good performance in Higher MT) be given to those who get A and better. Actually, I also see there is an argument for similarly reducing the weighting for Science but I guess the Minister for Ed probably doesn't want to go there... So let me keep my thoughts to myself for the moment though I cannot help thinking about it now that the idea of tweaking the PSLE scoring has been broached. After all, there are 'important