Skip to main content

No wonder

According to a poll of about 300 people, reported in yesterday's Sunday Times, (how come nobody ever asks me these things?), the Seven Wonders of Singapore are (in order of merit):
1. The Esplanade (a whopping 82 votes)
2. Changi Airport (53 votes)
3. Sentosa
4. The Merlion
5. The Singapore River
6. Food
7. Mount Faber and LKY (tie - 10 votes each)

Some 'offbeat choices' which didn't make it to the top 7: aunties selling tissue paper at coffee shops, Singlish, kiasuism, 4D-Toto outlets and Newater (said someone of Newater: 'We are probably the only country with branded recycled sewage.' Well said, ha ha.).

Maybe it's a personal bias but I feel that a 'Wonder' must also have strong historical and cultural/social value (so I'm rather miffed that Angkor Wat didn't make it to the 7 Wonders of the World; in fact it was never in the running for the top 7). Therefore, these choices are a little too modern for me. The Esplanade, for example, is arty and cultural, I suppose, but in too modern a sense. I'd rather go for the original Esplanade, that stretch beside the sea, where the Satay Club used to be.

Anyway, how did Mount Faber make it to the list? I didn't know 'natural' features were considered 'Wonders' of this sort. Well, I can think of some better natural wonders, e.g. all the off-the-beaten-track natural habitats for birds, marine and other creatures. And that 80-year-old Braddell Road angsana tree (chopped down already).

What I would choose:
1. Fort Canning Hill/Bukit Larangan (i.e. whatever remains of the palace, fort, excavation site)
2. City Hall, Supreme Court, Padang and the old Esplanade (the whole area)
3. National Museum (revived!) and the old National Library (chopped down already) at Stamford Road
4. Sultan Mosque and former Sultan's Palace (the current Malay Heritage Centre)
5. National Stadium (going to be chopped down)
6. Nicoll Highway (still there) and old Kallang Airport (chopped down already)
7. My dear school, CHIJ Victoria Street and the old SJI (both partly still there, partly chopped down) -- wah, so biased, choose her old school one

pic from Pastel Portraits

Okay, I know I cheated by having pairs, but some of these really go together what. By the way, notice how 'wonders' have a habit of being chopped down?

As for the non-building and non-food choices, I really wouldn't argue with LKY being on the list. Here's what else I would choose:
1. The Peranakan sarong kebaya, complete with kerosang, silver belt, beaded slippers, the works
2. The song 'Singapura'
3. Singlish, as chosen already by others
4. 'The Awakening' (Chinese drama serial)

Any other biased and unbiased suggestions, anyone?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Household Name

You chose The Awakening. What about The Samsui Women?
Anonymous said…
Hi Working Mum
Samsui Women is not a bad choice. I chose The Awakening because it was the first one and also, it captured the 'history' of many Chinese Singaporeans very well. I preferred the actors and actresses in The Awakening too. Ha ha, personal bias again...
Lam Chun See said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lam Chun See said…
HN. As a sports fan, I would have thot you would include Tan Howe Liang. Anyway, your post has inspired me to do a similar one.
Anonymous said…
Fuzzoo says:
Yah I was wondering why Mt Faber made it to the list too. And the Merlion - it's just a Singapore Tourism Board construct!

Luckily I didn't get asked because I would be hard pressed to name any "wonder" in Singapore. Maybe I would say "hawker centres" - well it's quite a wonder to have such a dense concentration of food stalls and wide variety in a single place.
Anonymous said…
Mr Lam,
Thanks for your comment. I'm happy to dish out food for thought :-).
I did think of sports personalities but it was hard to decide so I didn't choose any in the end.

Fuzzoo,
I share your feelings about the Merlion. The article quoted someone saying that it had links to Sang Nila Utama and the naming of S'pore but I doubt the creature he saw looked like the Merlion!

Hawker centres - yes, some are more wonder-ful than others.
Lam Chun See said…
They got rid of 2 perfectly nice Merdeka lions from the Merdeka Bridge/Nicoll Highway and then go and make a big fuss about the neither-here-or-there Merlion.
Anonymous said…
Well, I have to say they have done a 'good' job selling the idea of the Merlion. We have all types of Merlion merchandise, even chocolates and cookies. Even foreigners recognise it. Wonder who designed it.

Popular posts from this blog

True train school

‘Having eyes, but not seeing beauty; having ears, but not hearing music; having minds, but not perceiving truth; having hearts that are never moved and therefore never set on fire. These are the things to fear, said the headmaster.’ How would you like to have such a headmaster? I finally re-read (read it first as a teenager) Totto-chan, The Little Girl at the Window , a ‘school story’ by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, translated by Dorothy Britton. Totto-chan is the name Tesuko Kuroyanagi called herself, and the book is about her life during her school days at Tomoe Gakuen. Totto-chan was expelled from her first elementary school because of her ‘disruptive’ behaviour, which included constantly opening and closing her desk top (because she was so thrilled by it), ‘vandalising’ her desk (because there wasn’t enough space on the piece of paper to draw) and standing by the classroom window waiting for street musicians to pass by or talking to swallows. Her mother, although probably alarmed about the

A lesson in love

I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world. -Mother Teresa Most of the time my eyes just glaze over when I see article upon article of football news. One caught my glazing eye over the weekend, though - 'De la Cruz - Mother Theresa in boots' , because of the familiar name. Mother Teresa, that is. It was the first time I’d ever heard of this de la Cruz guy, an EPL player who hails from Ecuador (GNI per capita US$2,630; as a comparison, Singapore’s is US$27, 490 – source: BBC country profiles ). His is a great story to illustrate that famous Chinese saying about not forgetting your roots. According to the article, ‘Each month a proportion of that salary (about S$150,000) Reading pay him - be it 10 per cent in January or 20 per cent in February - goes direct to the village’ (where he grew up). (Picture and profile from here ) Here's what he has been credited for: 1. 'The 2002 World Cup,' de la Cruz reflects, 'finan