Skip to main content

Rally trail

Heh heh... no lah, I didn’t attend any rally this year. Since I wasn’t able to go to any, the next best thing was to get info from the mainstream and 'alternative' media. And the next next best thing I could do for myself was to go on a trail of rally sites, as they were being prepared.

A phrase I read in Mr Brown’s post had somehow stuck in my mind: ‘this kind of photo op does not come every day (once every four years, actually)’. I thought to myself, it's the eve of Polling Day, and a day like this, in fact, will not come by again.

So I took off for a bit to get my share of alternative media-ing.


Serangoon Stadium, the evening of 4 May (pictures taken the day before). Preparations underway for the PAP rally. Wonder why the stage was angled to face just the grandstand.



Flags all round the Stadium. As you can see, some people are very well situated. No need to step out of their house to hear what's going on.



Potong Pasir, the evening of 5 May, i.e. eve of Polling Day.

I have more pics here for sentimental reasons. Potong Pasir will always be part of my memories because I lived near there. Before the CTE was built, it was along the way to town. And school being in the town area, you can imagine how many times I passed that way. My grandfather passed away when I was a few months old and was buried at Bidadari Cemetery, which I therefore became pretty familiar with. My other grandfather, who passed away when I was in my teens, had his niche at Mt Vernon, also nearby.

Anyway, this place, let's admit it ok, has great significance in modern Singapore history.

Once upon a time, many years ago, I stood here in the rain. The stage is angled differently this time, and of course there was no MRT station then. But I wanted a picture to remember that field.
I also took shots of these SDA flags. Who knows how many of them we’ll see the next election?
And I had to have a shot of Mr Chiam’s campaign poster. Who knows if we’ll ever see these again, I thought. Got historical value.
Mr Chiam's banner. Does this place look like a slum to you?
Serangoon Stadium, the same evening, 5 May, to host a WP rally that night.

I was about to turn into the car park when the traffic police closed it off although it was only 5.30pm. I asked the officer if I could have just one minute there to snap my pictures. But he refused. I guess he was just obeying orders. I decided not to argue with the policeman lest I be accused of being up to something sinister. One must tread carefully in sensitive times as these, you know. There might very well have been CCTV cameras stuck up the trees or something, what with the increased security necessary at rally sites and all. So parked illegally somewhere and snapped. Stage set at a different angle from the one for the PAP rally.

5.30pm and there were already people there. Could have been helpers, I suppose, but then again, if they were helpers, they would have been doing stuff. There were some guys putting up hammer flags around the stadium, for example. Anyway, you can see some people sitting on their own or in pairs, etc. I think these were early birds, there to chope their place.

The ice cream vendors were there already. One ice cream lady smiled at me and I said to her that she would have good business that night. She said she wasn’t sure because if they were surrounded by a huge crowd, it would be difficult to sell anything. She asked me why I wasn’t going to attend the rally, and said I should have gone for the AMK one the night before.

See, even the ice cream lady is interested and in the know. I cannot, for the life of me, fathom those people who say, ‘So troublesome, this year must vote.’ These people don’t appreciate what it means to live in a democracy and have a choice, and they don’t appreciate what it means to live in a democracy and have a choice when many in that same democracy don’t have any choice to make.

Of course I was late picking the boy up from my in-laws' place and he wanted to know, 'Why so late?' Aiyoh... how to even start explaining these things to a 7-year-old? Don't worry, son, I promise you will not grow up politically apathetic. Because you have a mother crazy enough to drive all the way to the battle sites to take such photos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A lesson in love

I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world. -Mother Teresa Most of the time my eyes just glaze over when I see article upon article of football news. One caught my glazing eye over the weekend, though - 'De la Cruz - Mother Theresa in boots' , because of the familiar name. Mother Teresa, that is. It was the first time I’d ever heard of this de la Cruz guy, an EPL player who hails from Ecuador (GNI per capita US$2,630; as a comparison, Singapore’s is US$27, 490 – source: BBC country profiles ). His is a great story to illustrate that famous Chinese saying about not forgetting your roots. According to the article, ‘Each month a proportion of that salary (about S$150,000) Reading pay him - be it 10 per cent in January or 20 per cent in February - goes direct to the village’ (where he grew up). (Picture and profile from here ) Here's what he has been credited for: 1. 'The 2002 World Cup,' de la Cruz reflects, 'finan

True train school

‘Having eyes, but not seeing beauty; having ears, but not hearing music; having minds, but not perceiving truth; having hearts that are never moved and therefore never set on fire. These are the things to fear, said the headmaster.’ How would you like to have such a headmaster? I finally re-read (read it first as a teenager) Totto-chan, The Little Girl at the Window , a ‘school story’ by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, translated by Dorothy Britton. Totto-chan is the name Tesuko Kuroyanagi called herself, and the book is about her life during her school days at Tomoe Gakuen. Totto-chan was expelled from her first elementary school because of her ‘disruptive’ behaviour, which included constantly opening and closing her desk top (because she was so thrilled by it), ‘vandalising’ her desk (because there wasn’t enough space on the piece of paper to draw) and standing by the classroom window waiting for street musicians to pass by or talking to swallows. Her mother, although probably alarmed about the

No wonder

According to a poll of about 300 people, reported in yesterday's Sunday Times, (how come nobody ever asks me these things?) , the Seven Wonders of Singapore are (in order of merit): 1. The Esplanade (a whopping 82 votes) 2. Changi Airport (53 votes) 3. Sentosa 4. The Merlion 5. The Singapore River 6. Food 7. Mount Faber and LKY (tie - 10 votes each) Some 'offbeat choices' which didn't make it to the top 7: aunties selling tissue paper at coffee shops, Singlish, kiasuism, 4D-Toto outlets and Newater (said someone of Newater: 'We are probably the only country with branded recycled sewage.' Well said, ha ha.). Maybe it's a personal bias but I feel that a 'Wonder' must also have strong historical and cultural/social value (so I'm rather miffed that Angkor Wat didn't make it to the 7 Wonders of the World; in fact it was never in the running for the top 7). Therefore, these choices are a little too modern for me. The Esplanade, for example, is a