Skip to main content

The truth

Heh heh... I have nothing to say at this point about the truth behind you-know-what.

This post is on The Truth about Abortion, a leaflet produced by the Health Promotion Board. I'm a fairly regular visitor of hospitals and on a recent trip, I picked this leaflet up because I'd never seen it before and I wanted to see what the HPB had to say about the truth about abortion. Also, with all the hoo-ha earlier this year about the sexuality education programmes students were getting in JCs, I was curious to see what the 'official', secular stand would be with regard to this emotional, emotive, etc... topic.

I remember one student complained that an abortion video screened at his school had hard-to-stomach visual images. And I remember thinking, sorry, dude, that's the truth about abortion.

So what does the HPB say?

The leaflet does indeed list basic info about abortion - what it is, methods of abortion (featuring, though, only 2 main methods), risks related to having an abortion as well as repeated abortions, and, I'm happy to say, a reminder that:
'An abortion is not a method of contraception. The decision to have an abortion is not to be taken lightly as it can damage the woman's mental and physical health.'

There was even graphic representation of the 'suction aspiration' method.

Maybe schools can give this to the students who are queasy about seeing images of the real thing?

I am also reminded of what an ex-colleague told me many years back. She said that most people going for abortions were women above the age of 40 (fear that the child may not be 'normal' due to the mother's age; not wanting more children, etc). I'm not sure where she quoted that from, or what the real figures are but I was also told that there are more married than unmarried women who go for abortions (can't remember where I read/heard this but it should be true; makes sense because there should be many more married than unmarried women getting pregnant in the first place) and that there are definitely more adults than teenagers going for abortions.

That makes me wonder why more is made of teenage abortion than abortion in itself. Any medical, psychological, mental, social, etc risks or problems for teenagers seeking abortions apply also, although sometimes differently, to adults. Therefore, if people think teenage abortion is a problem, or wrong, it should be so for adults too. Perhaps even more so. One can understand a teenager being unprepared for motherhood, not realising the full consequences of sex, etc (I'm not condoning teenage abortion; I'm just saying 'one can understand' what a pregnant teenager is going through), but one would expect an adult to have reasoning powers beyond that of a teenager's. And yet, both groups end up seeking the same solution to their 'unwanted' situation.

So... The Truth about Abortion should be given out to everyone?


On a different note, I think I'm getting the hang of writing misleading titles. Maybe I can get a job doing titles for tabloids or something. Could do with the extra cash.

And on another but related (to the part about extra cash) note, my Progress Package payout is less than what my husband and parents got. :-(

Finally, on a very serious note on the eve of the big day, vote wisely, those of you who are among the 1.2 million who are getting to exercise their right and responsiblity as a citizen.

Comments

Lam Chun See said…
I do not profess to understand a tiny bit the problems faced by pregnant teenagers. But it does not change the fact that abortion is equivalent to taking an innocent life.
fuzzoo said…
Thank you for the reminder. Yes I will most certainly be using my vote wisely!
Anonymous said…
Mr Lam
THANKS SO MUCH for those links. I confess that I've never really thought about how many people believe that life doesn't begin at conception. The leaflet talks about removing the 'foetus or embryo or other pregnancy tissue' without going into the issue of 'life'.

The poem is excellent.

If I'm not mistaken, when they passed the Abortion Act in Singapore, it was one of the rare occasions when the Party Whip was lifted so that MPs could vote 'according to their conscience'. Of course, those who voted 'according to their conscience' lost to the majority. If I remembered this 'fact' wrongly and offended anyone, SORRY!

Fuzzoo,
Yeah, once every 4-5 years. Cannot afford to do otherwise, right?

Popular posts from this blog

A lesson in love

I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world. -Mother Teresa Most of the time my eyes just glaze over when I see article upon article of football news. One caught my glazing eye over the weekend, though - 'De la Cruz - Mother Theresa in boots' , because of the familiar name. Mother Teresa, that is. It was the first time I’d ever heard of this de la Cruz guy, an EPL player who hails from Ecuador (GNI per capita US$2,630; as a comparison, Singapore’s is US$27, 490 – source: BBC country profiles ). His is a great story to illustrate that famous Chinese saying about not forgetting your roots. According to the article, ‘Each month a proportion of that salary (about S$150,000) Reading pay him - be it 10 per cent in January or 20 per cent in February - goes direct to the village’ (where he grew up). (Picture and profile from here ) Here's what he has been credited for: 1. 'The 2002 World Cup,' de la Cruz reflects, 'finan

True train school

‘Having eyes, but not seeing beauty; having ears, but not hearing music; having minds, but not perceiving truth; having hearts that are never moved and therefore never set on fire. These are the things to fear, said the headmaster.’ How would you like to have such a headmaster? I finally re-read (read it first as a teenager) Totto-chan, The Little Girl at the Window , a ‘school story’ by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, translated by Dorothy Britton. Totto-chan is the name Tesuko Kuroyanagi called herself, and the book is about her life during her school days at Tomoe Gakuen. Totto-chan was expelled from her first elementary school because of her ‘disruptive’ behaviour, which included constantly opening and closing her desk top (because she was so thrilled by it), ‘vandalising’ her desk (because there wasn’t enough space on the piece of paper to draw) and standing by the classroom window waiting for street musicians to pass by or talking to swallows. Her mother, although probably alarmed about the

No wonder

According to a poll of about 300 people, reported in yesterday's Sunday Times, (how come nobody ever asks me these things?) , the Seven Wonders of Singapore are (in order of merit): 1. The Esplanade (a whopping 82 votes) 2. Changi Airport (53 votes) 3. Sentosa 4. The Merlion 5. The Singapore River 6. Food 7. Mount Faber and LKY (tie - 10 votes each) Some 'offbeat choices' which didn't make it to the top 7: aunties selling tissue paper at coffee shops, Singlish, kiasuism, 4D-Toto outlets and Newater (said someone of Newater: 'We are probably the only country with branded recycled sewage.' Well said, ha ha.). Maybe it's a personal bias but I feel that a 'Wonder' must also have strong historical and cultural/social value (so I'm rather miffed that Angkor Wat didn't make it to the 7 Wonders of the World; in fact it was never in the running for the top 7). Therefore, these choices are a little too modern for me. The Esplanade, for example, is a