Skip to main content

Watching the sands of time

When you hear children asking to play with the computer at a house warming party, you know for sure that the sands of time have really left life-as-we-knew-it-in-our-childhood-days awash. Even if there had been computer games in those days, I don't think most of us would have dared to open our mouths to ask!

I suppose the older you get, the more acutely you are aware of the sands and hands of time. I don't think I've ever wished for them to slow down (futile anyway!) but there have been many times in my life when I wished that I had used time better. I wonder what I would be wishing when I look back at today in, say, 5 or 10 years' time. Would I wish that I hadn't left the working world? Would I wish that I had chosen instead to work towards promotions and take on higher appointments? I hope not.

Just last week, I bumped into 2 people from my past. First, I ran into a former colleague and she said, 'You look just like how you did before you got married!' Later that same day, I was at Esprit Vivocity (ya, still going to Esprit after all these years!!) when I met a former schoolmate and he said, 'You look the same!'

I will take their remarks as compliments. Perhaps quitting the world of work has restored my youth, ha ha... No lah, I'm sure I look different. They probably didn't notice the fine lines, etc, on my face.

Anyhow, I was thinking about how 'quickly' the intervening years (i.e. from the time I met these people to today) have passed, and how much/little things have changed. I asked my former colleauge, 'Are you still the XYZ (her former work position)?' and immediately regretted using the word 'still'. You know, some people can be sensitive about such words and they might think that you think they never progressed, or, if they actually chose to stay in that position, they might think that you are implying that there is something wrong with the job. But this is a very nice lady, and she's had a change of duties (and so a rather 'exciting', if supremely hectic, time) and the place of work has expanded to maybe twice its size and everyone's got more than twice the amount of work. What about me? From then till now, I went on to 4 other workplaces (tsk tsk, such a job hopper, aren't I?) and then quit altogether.

Conclusion #1: nice people don't change no matter how much their work lives have changed.

As for my former schoolmate, he's become a rather well-sought-after fashion show choreographer (very possibly, there is a more glamorous term for his job but I don't know it). He works both here and in other cities and you will see pictures of him with all sorts of famous people at very happening events and places. Who would have known during our schooldays that he would become the big-time person that he is now? The thing is he himself is still the same. No airs about him, no hoity-toity attitude and all. Compared to his, my work life (despite the many changes of workplace) seems really boring and un-glam. I really have no regrets doing the things I did, though.

Conclusion #2: same as conclusion #1.

Conclusion #3: You must believe in your dreams if you want to live them.
(Hopefully, there is no age limit for this. Maybe I will have the chance to live more of my dreams in time to come...)

In the meantime, I assembled my anti-ageing arsenal for a photo shoot.

(not in picture: Pantene anti-ageing hair conditioner)

If you don't recognise these, they are all anti-ageing, age-defying, wrinkle-combatting, etc, products, even the hand cream! Let me let you in on a beauty secret: the brand doesn't make very much difference. I switched to these more affordable stuff (all can be bought at Watson's type) since I stopped work and I have concluded that no brand works any better or worse than the others (ya, even the one that says 'visible results'!). Or maybe it's because I'm just getting older and constantly having to battle the signs of the times...

I read before that one should start one's anti-ageing skincare routine when one is in ones 20s. Well, too late now, I suppose, but hopefully, some care is better than none and maybe when someone meets me 5 or 10 years later, they will still say 'You look the same!'

By the way, do you all have the experience of meeting your old teachers, like, a million years after leaving school and they still look the same??

Comments

Anonymous said…
Another 5 - 10 year on I will be very suprise if the same friends you just met said you STILL look the same.
One sure age and change with time. We should make full use of time and not waste it, but it is usually easier said than done.
Anonymous said…
Hi Chuck,
I'm sure I look different from how I did just last year!
Actually, I'm very good at wasting time and I must work really hard at this problem.
Lam Chun See said…
Moses wrote a beautiful Psalm in the Old Testament. In it, he has these words of advice for us:

"The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
........... So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
Anonymous said…
Thanks, Mr Lam! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

A lesson in love

I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world. -Mother Teresa Most of the time my eyes just glaze over when I see article upon article of football news. One caught my glazing eye over the weekend, though - 'De la Cruz - Mother Theresa in boots' , because of the familiar name. Mother Teresa, that is. It was the first time I’d ever heard of this de la Cruz guy, an EPL player who hails from Ecuador (GNI per capita US$2,630; as a comparison, Singapore’s is US$27, 490 – source: BBC country profiles ). His is a great story to illustrate that famous Chinese saying about not forgetting your roots. According to the article, ‘Each month a proportion of that salary (about S$150,000) Reading pay him - be it 10 per cent in January or 20 per cent in February - goes direct to the village’ (where he grew up). (Picture and profile from here ) Here's what he has been credited for: 1. 'The 2002 World Cup,' de la Cruz reflects, 'finan

True train school

‘Having eyes, but not seeing beauty; having ears, but not hearing music; having minds, but not perceiving truth; having hearts that are never moved and therefore never set on fire. These are the things to fear, said the headmaster.’ How would you like to have such a headmaster? I finally re-read (read it first as a teenager) Totto-chan, The Little Girl at the Window , a ‘school story’ by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, translated by Dorothy Britton. Totto-chan is the name Tesuko Kuroyanagi called herself, and the book is about her life during her school days at Tomoe Gakuen. Totto-chan was expelled from her first elementary school because of her ‘disruptive’ behaviour, which included constantly opening and closing her desk top (because she was so thrilled by it), ‘vandalising’ her desk (because there wasn’t enough space on the piece of paper to draw) and standing by the classroom window waiting for street musicians to pass by or talking to swallows. Her mother, although probably alarmed about the

No wonder

According to a poll of about 300 people, reported in yesterday's Sunday Times, (how come nobody ever asks me these things?) , the Seven Wonders of Singapore are (in order of merit): 1. The Esplanade (a whopping 82 votes) 2. Changi Airport (53 votes) 3. Sentosa 4. The Merlion 5. The Singapore River 6. Food 7. Mount Faber and LKY (tie - 10 votes each) Some 'offbeat choices' which didn't make it to the top 7: aunties selling tissue paper at coffee shops, Singlish, kiasuism, 4D-Toto outlets and Newater (said someone of Newater: 'We are probably the only country with branded recycled sewage.' Well said, ha ha.). Maybe it's a personal bias but I feel that a 'Wonder' must also have strong historical and cultural/social value (so I'm rather miffed that Angkor Wat didn't make it to the 7 Wonders of the World; in fact it was never in the running for the top 7). Therefore, these choices are a little too modern for me. The Esplanade, for example, is a