Skip to main content

In another world

Since my blog goes by the name that it does, I feel compelled to write something about the tai-tais featured in the latest Sunday Times. Wow, 3 pages in the Lifestyle section devoted to the ladies (and gentlemen) who grace the pages of Singapore Tatler, Prestige, The Peak, etc.

I didn't know that even among this set, there are class divisions. There are the'wannabe' tai-tais and the 'real' tai-tais, the ones who tailor 'copies' of designer clothes and those who wear the real thing, etc. Then there is, of course, me, non-tai-tai, who goes into Prada, Gucci, etc just to look at how much the clothes cost, and the ladies who actually buy and wear those clothes.

I also didn't know that you get goodie bags with stuff like business class air tickets to Shanghai and electronic gadgets at these high society events.

What struck me most, though, was the somewhat derisive tone I sensed in the 3 pages. Sour grapes on the part of the writers?

The part I liked most was the interview with the 'society photographer'. Among other things he said:
'I was taking a break once and this woman kept pacing up and down in front of me. Then she would stop and strike a pose. I finally gave up and took her picture so she would leave me alone.'

So funny trying to picture this in my mind's eye.

I actually find some Sunday Times features rather rivetting. Like this thing about the rich and famous. I'm really fascinated by such stories of people who live in that world of theirs.

There are also a couple of columnists whose articles I enjoy very much, namely Colin Goh (of Singapore Dreaming fame) and Tay Yek Keak. Tay's article, 'Heights of idiocy can put us on the map' had me laughing. It was about the people who went off to Japan in search of the karate master.

I was thinking that Mediacorp should spin a tale out of this escapade and produce a blockbuster drama serial. Even TVB cannot beat this particular search-for-secret-martial-arts-manual story: dying father's last wish, jetting off to a foreign land with which they were, it appears, completely unfamiliar, getting lost, and then finding a Chinese martial arts master instead of karate master.

After all, this story is not only original, as compared to leaning on a rock and having a lost-for-100-years hole conveniently open up for you to fall into and find a lost-for-1000-years secret manual, it also actually happened. Which will make it a lot more believable than finding a martial arts manual in an ape's tummy. Serious. That's what Tony Leung (Mo Kei) did in Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre. He fell into this enormous cave (but of course) and met this ape who was having a stomach upset (and who could also understand Cantonese). He did some kind of surgery on the ape (who knows how he managed to do this, being the only human in that cave, with nothing around him but natural stuff like plants, water and rabbits) and retrieved the manual from the poor creature's tummy. I couldn't stop laughing at this part of the show, but my husband tells me that it's in the original story.

Young Tony Leung and young Sheren Tang; couldn't find picture with the ape

Anyway, I couldn't help thinking how these people were really single-minded and persevering in their mission. I mean, one guy was in a 'short-sleeved t-shirt and a windbreaker', and they were climbing up a snowy mountain in Japan at this time of year, and he didn't even think of turning back, not even to buy a more suitable outfit. Really in another world. I'm sure I would have chickened out.

And how did they come to think that 'because Japan looked so small on a world map, we thought it (the mountain on which lived the karate master, I think) would be easy to find'?

Comments

fuzzoo said…
I enjoyed that Tai Tai feature very much. So enlightening and so funny! That story about those people who went in search of the master, I couldn't believe that it was true, I thought it was a belated April Fool's joke especially what the guy said about japan looking so small on the map. What they did seems such an unSingaporean thing as Singaporeans tend to be very pragmatic and unadventurous.
Anonymous said…
Heh heh, Fuzzoo, you are right. Many of us don't even dare to say or do anything out of the ordinary.

Then again, what's 'ordinary'?

Popular posts from this blog

True train school

‘Having eyes, but not seeing beauty; having ears, but not hearing music; having minds, but not perceiving truth; having hearts that are never moved and therefore never set on fire. These are the things to fear, said the headmaster.’ How would you like to have such a headmaster? I finally re-read (read it first as a teenager) Totto-chan, The Little Girl at the Window , a ‘school story’ by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, translated by Dorothy Britton. Totto-chan is the name Tesuko Kuroyanagi called herself, and the book is about her life during her school days at Tomoe Gakuen. Totto-chan was expelled from her first elementary school because of her ‘disruptive’ behaviour, which included constantly opening and closing her desk top (because she was so thrilled by it), ‘vandalising’ her desk (because there wasn’t enough space on the piece of paper to draw) and standing by the classroom window waiting for street musicians to pass by or talking to swallows. Her mother, although probably alarmed about the

A lesson in love

I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world. -Mother Teresa Most of the time my eyes just glaze over when I see article upon article of football news. One caught my glazing eye over the weekend, though - 'De la Cruz - Mother Theresa in boots' , because of the familiar name. Mother Teresa, that is. It was the first time I’d ever heard of this de la Cruz guy, an EPL player who hails from Ecuador (GNI per capita US$2,630; as a comparison, Singapore’s is US$27, 490 – source: BBC country profiles ). His is a great story to illustrate that famous Chinese saying about not forgetting your roots. According to the article, ‘Each month a proportion of that salary (about S$150,000) Reading pay him - be it 10 per cent in January or 20 per cent in February - goes direct to the village’ (where he grew up). (Picture and profile from here ) Here's what he has been credited for: 1. 'The 2002 World Cup,' de la Cruz reflects, 'finan

No wonder

According to a poll of about 300 people, reported in yesterday's Sunday Times, (how come nobody ever asks me these things?) , the Seven Wonders of Singapore are (in order of merit): 1. The Esplanade (a whopping 82 votes) 2. Changi Airport (53 votes) 3. Sentosa 4. The Merlion 5. The Singapore River 6. Food 7. Mount Faber and LKY (tie - 10 votes each) Some 'offbeat choices' which didn't make it to the top 7: aunties selling tissue paper at coffee shops, Singlish, kiasuism, 4D-Toto outlets and Newater (said someone of Newater: 'We are probably the only country with branded recycled sewage.' Well said, ha ha.). Maybe it's a personal bias but I feel that a 'Wonder' must also have strong historical and cultural/social value (so I'm rather miffed that Angkor Wat didn't make it to the 7 Wonders of the World; in fact it was never in the running for the top 7). Therefore, these choices are a little too modern for me. The Esplanade, for example, is a