Skip to main content

And citizenship education, too

Disclaimer: This blog does not 'persistently propagate, promote or circulate political issues relating to Singapore'. It does not qualify to be 'registered'. Besides, it's not the 'election period' yet.

With 'the election period' to be announced shortly, I just want to play safe and post this now. Although I don't have 'political issues' to 'propagate, promote or circulate'. I just want to write about how my citizenship education began at home.

I was thinking, after the lot of 24 new, mostly 'young' candidates were introduced, that there would be many unfamiliar faces this time round. Although my parents aren't exactly 'into' politics, it was a sort of family tradition to watch news about the run-up to the elections and stay up for the results on election day itself. Election in, election out, we would see many familiar faces, and I'm not just talking about the Old Guard and their colleagues. There were also some die-hard opposition members you would see every election. Even the gentleman who announced the results at the Singapore Conference Hall was a familiar face. I wonder if we will still see him this year.

I've continued to stay up for the results each election day, although it has certainly become a lot less exciting to watch. There are much fewer results to report now, of course, compared to the pre-GRC days, and it takes such a mightily long time to count the votes for GRCs.

Something we often found rather amusing was the set of symbols that are permitted for independent candidates to use, among them the chair and a pair of spectacles! I don't know who came up with those symbols but they are surely designed to put any independent candidate at a disadvantage. I mean, if you represent a chair, how much of a fight can you offer the bolt of lightning, hammer, star and circles, etc?

Fast forward to the 90s. That was when I attended election rallies for the first time and I'm sure my interest in them had something to do with growing up in a home that regularly watched election news.

I remember standing in the rain at a certain rally, my first one. I also remember watching from my sister's 10th floor flat a certain very exciting rally at a certain stadium in a certain year. You just have to be there and listen and experience for yourself to know what the candidates are about. The media can't possibly tell you all you should or need to know. The rally might last some 3 hours but you are only going to get maybe one not very long article on it. Also, if you are not there in person, you will never really know the crowd's reception and reaction, which can be very interesting, to say the least.

What also left a deep impression on me was the camaraderie among people at these rallies. I can't quite explain it, but it's like there's some kind of bond among those who turn up. Many of us would park illegally (because there's just not enough space in the legal car parks). As you leave your car wondering if you will get a traffic police summons, people walking the same way will be joking, 'Don't worry, if they come they have to fine all of us!' Then there are people who voluntarily direct traffic (surprisingly, I've not seen that many traffic police doing this on such occasions), and people who signal to you to wind your window down so they can tell you where you can find a space to park further down the road. I'm not making any of this up, and none of this is from hearsay. I experienced all this myself.

Then there was also the time we decided to go up one of the nearby blocks, rather than stand in front of the stage with the crowd (easier to see from up there). Well, there was also a little 'crowd' at the common corridors, including both residents and 'strangers' like ourselves. No one minded us 'outsiders' standing in front of their homes, and, in fact, there was this man I remember who welcomed us to the place and recommended us good spots from which to watch the rally! Generally, everyone had a good time, cheering, passing comments, and joking with each other. Again, you just have to be there to know what I mean.

So I have many fond memories of the elections and too bad that this place is probably going to be walked over. Once again. I don't know of any walkabouts or hand-shaking that have taken place around here in the past few weeks.

But I shall still stay tuned.

A chair, anyone?

Comments

fuzzoo said…
I also attended my first rally in the 1990s and it was raining too! I watched a certain opposition candidate make his debut; he seemed credible at that time but somehow over the years deteriorated to a hunger striker...
Another rally I attended, in the northeast, was a huge affair, had to park a distance away and walk there. Yes, there was much camaderie and it was really quite fun especially when the crowd started dispersing and daringly jaywalking as we had strength in numbers.
Anonymous said…
Fuzzoo,
The day I stood in the rain was not the same day you did! I've not heard that person before.

Perhaps the 'young' Singaporeans who are reportedly 'apathetic' should attend a rally or two. They might just find that local politics is not so boring after all.

Popular posts from this blog

True train school

‘Having eyes, but not seeing beauty; having ears, but not hearing music; having minds, but not perceiving truth; having hearts that are never moved and therefore never set on fire. These are the things to fear, said the headmaster.’ How would you like to have such a headmaster? I finally re-read (read it first as a teenager) Totto-chan, The Little Girl at the Window , a ‘school story’ by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, translated by Dorothy Britton. Totto-chan is the name Tesuko Kuroyanagi called herself, and the book is about her life during her school days at Tomoe Gakuen. Totto-chan was expelled from her first elementary school because of her ‘disruptive’ behaviour, which included constantly opening and closing her desk top (because she was so thrilled by it), ‘vandalising’ her desk (because there wasn’t enough space on the piece of paper to draw) and standing by the classroom window waiting for street musicians to pass by or talking to swallows. Her mother, although probably alarmed about the

A lesson in love

I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world. -Mother Teresa Most of the time my eyes just glaze over when I see article upon article of football news. One caught my glazing eye over the weekend, though - 'De la Cruz - Mother Theresa in boots' , because of the familiar name. Mother Teresa, that is. It was the first time I’d ever heard of this de la Cruz guy, an EPL player who hails from Ecuador (GNI per capita US$2,630; as a comparison, Singapore’s is US$27, 490 – source: BBC country profiles ). His is a great story to illustrate that famous Chinese saying about not forgetting your roots. According to the article, ‘Each month a proportion of that salary (about S$150,000) Reading pay him - be it 10 per cent in January or 20 per cent in February - goes direct to the village’ (where he grew up). (Picture and profile from here ) Here's what he has been credited for: 1. 'The 2002 World Cup,' de la Cruz reflects, 'finan

No wonder

According to a poll of about 300 people, reported in yesterday's Sunday Times, (how come nobody ever asks me these things?) , the Seven Wonders of Singapore are (in order of merit): 1. The Esplanade (a whopping 82 votes) 2. Changi Airport (53 votes) 3. Sentosa 4. The Merlion 5. The Singapore River 6. Food 7. Mount Faber and LKY (tie - 10 votes each) Some 'offbeat choices' which didn't make it to the top 7: aunties selling tissue paper at coffee shops, Singlish, kiasuism, 4D-Toto outlets and Newater (said someone of Newater: 'We are probably the only country with branded recycled sewage.' Well said, ha ha.). Maybe it's a personal bias but I feel that a 'Wonder' must also have strong historical and cultural/social value (so I'm rather miffed that Angkor Wat didn't make it to the 7 Wonders of the World; in fact it was never in the running for the top 7). Therefore, these choices are a little too modern for me. The Esplanade, for example, is a