Skip to main content

Road rants

Vehicles that irritate the streering wheel off my car
In all my driving experience, I've only driven old and/or 'average'-sized cars. I've often wondered what it is about driving a luxury car, taxi or huge vehicle that causes some drivers to behave like they own the road.

The other day, due to my momentary indecision on seeing the light change to amber, I slowed down less gradually than I should have. I must stress that I did not stop abruptly, my car did not screech to a halt, I didn't have to slam my brakes, etc. I wasn't going that fast, I just slowed down not so gradually. To my horror, I saw in my mirror the luxury car behind me still going at full speed. The driver had to put some of his special driving skills into use to avoid ramming into the back of my car. He definitely did not look too happy with me and I certainly was not too happy with him. I admit that I should have started slowing down earlier but the thing is I had started slowing down already and he would have seen my brake lights and the amber light and should have started slowing down himself. Even if I had made it past the amber light, I doubt he would have. But I guess he just wanted me out of the way so that he wouldn't have to wait for the next change of lights.

What do you do when you have stopped and the car behind you is still going fast? Do you beat the red light to avoid being hit? After all, you wouldn't know for sure what that driver is going to do. What if the traffic from the other side is already moving and you can't move forward?

I will not go on further about such vehicles and their drivers. I would not be able to stop.

'Official' vehicles that own the road
Strangely, I twice saw an LTA car driving - rather slowly - on the lane marking between lanes, i.e. half the car was on one lane and the other half on the next lane. Then, the car sped off to another lane without indicating it was changing lanes. I wonder if it was the same driver or if LTA officers' driving habits are suspect.

On another ocassion, I was going on a slip road, the type with two lanes merging into one. I noticed an ambulance coming and slowed down to let it pass. Boy, was I mad when the ambulance driver blared his horn at me. On hindsight, however, I guess I should be more forgiving towards ambulance drivers because they drive under high stress and probably they encounter many vehicles that do not give way to them.

Drink driving
I read this New Paper article in which the writer's view was that the problem with drink driving was not drink driving per se but people's drinking habits. She said she knew many people who habitually drank till they were drunk.

I suppose these people should then change their driving habits, i.e., they shouldn't drive to the place where they are going to drink so that they wouldn't have to drive after drinking. For everyone's good, this is a decision that can be made with a clear mind way before even the first sip of alcohol.

Anyway, the fact that people do drink and drive just shows that some drivers have a mistaken sense of invincibility. I'd say the same for drivers who use their mobiles while driving and drivers and motorcyclists who smoke while driving/riding. They won't be the ones who get involved in accidents. They won't be the ones who hit pedestrians or other vehicles.

Motorcyclists and cyclists
I think many motorcyclists are reckless and I don't know why they want to risk their lives unnecessarily when they can choose to ride safely. Maybe they are also afflicted with the mistaken sense of invincibility.

However, I am even more amazed at drivers of other vehicles who drive as though motorcyclists and cyclists don't exist. I'm sure all drivers have been annoyed, at one time or another, by a slow motorcyclist hogging the lane or driving right on the lane marking and blocking our way but it's no reason to endanger the life of that motorcyclist.

Needless to say, cyclists using the road are in an even worse position and are in danger of being knocked down at any time. Surprisingly, many don't bother to use helmets or fix lights on their bikes. I suppose they also have that sense of invincibility.

Off the road
Finally, let me get onto the pavement. I am appalled that they want to try out having pedestrians and cyclists share the pavement in Tampines. Obviously, the person who came up with the idea doesn't walk on pavements very much. As I am on the pavement on a daily basis, sometimes several times a day, I think I can speak for at least some pavement users. Pavements are meant for pedestrians but cyclists think they are the kings and queens of the pavements and often speed on the pavements and ring their bells like there is no tomorrow to get you out of their way. I have seen both locals and foreign nationals ride in this manner and I think it's just inconsiderate and dangerous. I don't have a real solution for cyclists (the only solution I can think of is to have cycle lanes but I doubt that's going to happen). However, I'm just a ranting non-tai-tai. The persons in charge should come up with something more feasible.

Comments

Lam Chun See said…
You seem to have forgotten the taxis. They expect you to have lightning reflexes when you are in front of them at the traffic lights. It's alright for them to cut from from middle lane and stop in front of you to pick up a customer, but if you were to stop in front of them to do the same thing ...
Anonymous said…
Ah... taxi drivers... don't let me get started. They are good for several blog posts.

Anyway, I think I mentioned before that this psychologist said that two 'new' at-risk groups for suicide are taxi drivers and Indonesian maids. It has something to do with the current profile of taxi drivers - some took it up because they lost their jobs, some are struggling to make ends meet, etc.

But of course they should still drive carefully and considerately.

Popular posts from this blog

A lesson in love

I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world. -Mother Teresa Most of the time my eyes just glaze over when I see article upon article of football news. One caught my glazing eye over the weekend, though - 'De la Cruz - Mother Theresa in boots' , because of the familiar name. Mother Teresa, that is. It was the first time I’d ever heard of this de la Cruz guy, an EPL player who hails from Ecuador (GNI per capita US$2,630; as a comparison, Singapore’s is US$27, 490 – source: BBC country profiles ). His is a great story to illustrate that famous Chinese saying about not forgetting your roots. According to the article, ‘Each month a proportion of that salary (about S$150,000) Reading pay him - be it 10 per cent in January or 20 per cent in February - goes direct to the village’ (where he grew up). (Picture and profile from here ) Here's what he has been credited for: 1. 'The 2002 World Cup,' de la Cruz reflects, 'finan

True train school

‘Having eyes, but not seeing beauty; having ears, but not hearing music; having minds, but not perceiving truth; having hearts that are never moved and therefore never set on fire. These are the things to fear, said the headmaster.’ How would you like to have such a headmaster? I finally re-read (read it first as a teenager) Totto-chan, The Little Girl at the Window , a ‘school story’ by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, translated by Dorothy Britton. Totto-chan is the name Tesuko Kuroyanagi called herself, and the book is about her life during her school days at Tomoe Gakuen. Totto-chan was expelled from her first elementary school because of her ‘disruptive’ behaviour, which included constantly opening and closing her desk top (because she was so thrilled by it), ‘vandalising’ her desk (because there wasn’t enough space on the piece of paper to draw) and standing by the classroom window waiting for street musicians to pass by or talking to swallows. Her mother, although probably alarmed about the

No wonder

According to a poll of about 300 people, reported in yesterday's Sunday Times, (how come nobody ever asks me these things?) , the Seven Wonders of Singapore are (in order of merit): 1. The Esplanade (a whopping 82 votes) 2. Changi Airport (53 votes) 3. Sentosa 4. The Merlion 5. The Singapore River 6. Food 7. Mount Faber and LKY (tie - 10 votes each) Some 'offbeat choices' which didn't make it to the top 7: aunties selling tissue paper at coffee shops, Singlish, kiasuism, 4D-Toto outlets and Newater (said someone of Newater: 'We are probably the only country with branded recycled sewage.' Well said, ha ha.). Maybe it's a personal bias but I feel that a 'Wonder' must also have strong historical and cultural/social value (so I'm rather miffed that Angkor Wat didn't make it to the 7 Wonders of the World; in fact it was never in the running for the top 7). Therefore, these choices are a little too modern for me. The Esplanade, for example, is a