Skip to main content

You are more important than the grade on your paper

I read that line some years ago and wondered how many young people actually believed that. Today, during the season of poring over our children's mid-year marks, I still wonder about it.

I must admit that it's often hard for me as a parent to think less about grades than I do. We try very hard to keep our 'worries' about grades to ourselves (and our friends) and don't make a big deal about them with the boy. I'm sure we all know in our heart of hearts that each child has his/her own strengths and weaknesses and should therefore be allowed to develop accordingly and that what's more important is his/her overall well-being. However, unfortunately for many Singaporean children (and no doubt children elsewhere in the world too), we are such a grade-obsessed society. The boy has at least 2 friends who get caned for not scoring this or that mark. So sad, huh?

In today's 'Which Primary School' supplement, there is this parent who figures she and her husband are among a minority of parents who see 'playtime' as more important than 'academic excellence' in their choice of school. She says, 'When I tell people how happy my children are in school, the usual response is "But how is the school's standard?"' So hard to escape from grades.

I guess the boy should be grateful his parents are also in this minority who chose a nearby school over the further-away-premier school, which he could have gotten into. Even now, when he is already in P3, people still ask, 'Why didn't you send him to X School?'

(By the way, X-tongfang, you are also in this minority, aren't you? Ha ha, so 'many' of us in this minority.)

On hindsight, we have no regrets because he often lacks the self-motivation and self-discipline (ahem, some friends will recognise those... er... traits) that I think are necessary to survive well in a premier school. On the whole, his teachers have been encouraging though annoyed by his inattention and lack of interest. He really is progressing 'at his own pace', which I'm not sure we would have been able to allow him to if he were in a premier school. His friends are from a whole range of socio-economic backgrounds, ethnic groups and nationalities. In other words, there have been more plusses than anything. As his pre-nursery teacher (whom we met just the other day) affirmed, what's important is that he's happy.

So, while I do still hope he will eventually do well enough to go to an above-average secondary school (a mother can hope, can't she? :-)), it's good to know that, for the next 3 1/2 years, we can continue waking up at a decent hour each morning!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am so thankful that you wrote about this - I am also guilty many times when I compare my kids with other academically brighter ones and feel kinda anxious that "hey, how come my kids are lagging behind?" especially since my son is already in P6 and has no sense of urgency or discipline that I was hoping to see. then i worry myself sick by asking, what if he gets into a lousy secondary school? it can really drive you nuts, but at the end of the day, you are right. Grades aren't everything, and as my better half has to constantly remind me, every kid is different and we must put things in perspective. And truly I thank you for this timely reminder to let them grow at their own pace and let them have a happy childhood. and yes, mothers can have dreams and hopes at the same time too! x-tongfang
Anonymous said…
Hey, X-tongfang,
I think your husband and many (or most) of his countrymen and -women are better at putting things in perspective than us Singaporeans. Our perspective includes grades and getting into a good school/class, etc in a very big way. I guess that's our problem and that's why we worry so much about these things even though we tell ourselves not to.
fuzzoo said…
I share your sentiments totally and emphatise with your anxiety. I chose to enrol my kids in a primary school based on the school's philosophy as stated in their website - to be a happy school where children want to come to school. This is despite the fact hat we were just living across the road from a popular school; I felt that popular schools tend to emphasize too much on academics and I didn't want my kids mixing with kids from homes that encourage judging oneself and themselves by their academic performance. This "unpopular" school I sent my kids to chooses not to reveal their PSLE results (I later learnt from a friend who spoke to the principal that the school's PSLE results were actually better than good schools in the same vicinity but when asked why this was not made known, the principal said they chose to keep quiet about it as they do not wish to attract the sort of parents who are drawn to schools with good PSLE results) and they do not even reveal your child's ranking within the class. The school recognises students' achievements in areas other than academics and the principal often "preaches" on the importance of character building and passing on the right values to the kids. My kids' results are really bad and I do worry about whether they can get into a decent secondary school but I do not regret my decision. A person's success in life depends a lot more on other factors such as his social and interpersonal skills, his character and personality, so it's more important to make sure that the kids are alright in those areas!
Lam Chun See said…
Dr James Dobson of Focus on the Family has written a couple of very convincing articles about why we shouldn't agonise too much about our children's academic performance.

In the case of my youngest daughter, who is a mugger, on more than one occasion, my wife and I had to tell not to study so hard.

But even if one is very particular about his child's achievements, I believe in the future, academic excellence does not carry as much weight as it did in our time, so why push them so hard.

As for schools, we sent our children to 'branded' schools mainly because of we want them to have a Christian environment plus my wife having taught in neighbourhood school before was very worried about the kind of friends they will get to make.
Anonymous said…
Mr Lam,
I hope you are right that our children will not have to depend on just their academic results in the future. In Singapore.

Fuzzoo, I'm sure you are right that non-academic factors contribute to one's success too. That principal's vision is really admirable!

Well, our kids still need to get through their PSLE, O and A levels... Those of us whose kids are not the 'high-performing' types just have to keep reminding ourselves that life is more than exam results.

Popular posts from this blog

A lesson in love

I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world. -Mother Teresa Most of the time my eyes just glaze over when I see article upon article of football news. One caught my glazing eye over the weekend, though - 'De la Cruz - Mother Theresa in boots' , because of the familiar name. Mother Teresa, that is. It was the first time I’d ever heard of this de la Cruz guy, an EPL player who hails from Ecuador (GNI per capita US$2,630; as a comparison, Singapore’s is US$27, 490 – source: BBC country profiles ). His is a great story to illustrate that famous Chinese saying about not forgetting your roots. According to the article, ‘Each month a proportion of that salary (about S$150,000) Reading pay him - be it 10 per cent in January or 20 per cent in February - goes direct to the village’ (where he grew up). (Picture and profile from here ) Here's what he has been credited for: 1. 'The 2002 World Cup,' de la Cruz reflects, 'finan

True train school

‘Having eyes, but not seeing beauty; having ears, but not hearing music; having minds, but not perceiving truth; having hearts that are never moved and therefore never set on fire. These are the things to fear, said the headmaster.’ How would you like to have such a headmaster? I finally re-read (read it first as a teenager) Totto-chan, The Little Girl at the Window , a ‘school story’ by Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, translated by Dorothy Britton. Totto-chan is the name Tesuko Kuroyanagi called herself, and the book is about her life during her school days at Tomoe Gakuen. Totto-chan was expelled from her first elementary school because of her ‘disruptive’ behaviour, which included constantly opening and closing her desk top (because she was so thrilled by it), ‘vandalising’ her desk (because there wasn’t enough space on the piece of paper to draw) and standing by the classroom window waiting for street musicians to pass by or talking to swallows. Her mother, although probably alarmed about the

No wonder

According to a poll of about 300 people, reported in yesterday's Sunday Times, (how come nobody ever asks me these things?) , the Seven Wonders of Singapore are (in order of merit): 1. The Esplanade (a whopping 82 votes) 2. Changi Airport (53 votes) 3. Sentosa 4. The Merlion 5. The Singapore River 6. Food 7. Mount Faber and LKY (tie - 10 votes each) Some 'offbeat choices' which didn't make it to the top 7: aunties selling tissue paper at coffee shops, Singlish, kiasuism, 4D-Toto outlets and Newater (said someone of Newater: 'We are probably the only country with branded recycled sewage.' Well said, ha ha.). Maybe it's a personal bias but I feel that a 'Wonder' must also have strong historical and cultural/social value (so I'm rather miffed that Angkor Wat didn't make it to the 7 Wonders of the World; in fact it was never in the running for the top 7). Therefore, these choices are a little too modern for me. The Esplanade, for example, is a